I've been waiting...

Friday, October 10, 2014

The Best $10

So, as most of you know, my daughter is Barney obsessed!  So, in planning our Halloween costume of course you know what must be on the table, Barney and all his friends.  However, Barney is not as popular outside of our little household so the chances of finding a Barney costume or his friend Baby Bop, who is her favourite, as you can imagine is quite a challenge. 
The weather was not the greatest this past weekend so Grace and I headed out to do a little shopping out of town.  I wanted to scour Value Village and Once Upon a Child for a winter dress coat and snowpants and maybe something I could use to make a Baby Bop costume.  I found a beautiful winter dress coat (can't wait for Christmas!!!) and snowpants.  Feeling all successful-like, I rummaged through the huge bin of costumes outside the store, just for a look, as Grace was playing with a car outside the store.  Literally as I was about to turn around and be on our way, a glimpse of purple caught my eye.  Could it be???  Could I be this lucky!!!?????  I frantically got to the bottom of the bin and there it was.... Barney!!!!!!!  I couldn't believe my eyes!  And neither could Grace!!!  She was laughing and clapping a Barney song right there on the sidewalk!  On sale for $10!  This would be the best $10 I have spent all year!!!
So, of course we buy it.  Then I start pumping Grace up for "the big reveal."  I explain to her that we will stop by Grandma and Grandpa's on the way home, won't it be so funny if she was Barney when we got there.  I explain, several times, that we will stop on the way home, put on the Barney costume, and then, when we get there and Grandpa is outside working, he will laugh and laugh when Barney gets out of the car!  My plan was flawless!
What I didn't take into account was the mind of a three year old.
We did as I had planned, we stopped along the side of the road, just over the hill from Grandma and Grandpa's.  I got out the costume, and her out of the car seat.  And then it happened.  You know that story of Thomas' Snowsuit, where the mom, then the teacher, then the principal all try to get Thomas into his snowsuit and he refuses and creates a big scene?  Well, that was us, on the side of the road.  Never did get the costume on.
I sure hope it goes better in two weeks on the actual day.  Otherwise the best $10 I've ever spent may become the best $10 I've ever wasted!!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

L! They have their own minds don't they?! Hopefully if you have her costume hanging around the house she might warm up to trying it on.

Suzanne said...

that's what I did Catherine, I left it hanging in her bedroom for a couple of days and we've been "practising" putting it on. As it turns out, she thought it would hurt her, not sure why she thought that but after I explained that it wouldn't hurt, it would feel sort of like pajamas, she was open to trying it on. My next post will be a picture of her and how happy she was as Barney!!